The only engineering plastic of natural origin (derived from castor oil), it is a polyamide which, unlike the other nylons, does not absorb humidity. It has all the good mechanical features of polyamides: tensile stress, compressive strength, wear resistance, etc. Moisture content does not influence its shock resistance. It has very good ageing and low temperature resistance.
• Tensile stress, compressive strength and shock resistance values stable in moist as well as dry environments
• Wear resistance, very good even in dusty or demanding environments ageing and low temperature resistance
• Low friction coefficient generally for sliding applications it does not require lubricators
• It’s physiologically inert and is used in food processing machinery.
• As it’s not hygroscopic and its electrical properties are stable, it’s widely used for electrical applications such as insulators.
• It’s resistant to solvents.
• Although Nylon 11 has all the excellent mechanical features of polyamides without their weakest point (hygroscopicity), its high price prevents wider usage.
Nylon 11 has all the excellent mechanical features of polyamides without their weakest point, hygroscopicity. Its higher price does however prevent wider usage.