Omniamid (Cast Nylon Natural)
Cast Nylon 6. The method of production of this polyamide (i.e. the polymerisation of the caprolactam directly in the mould) allows the production of stock shapes in larger than normal dimensions, such as big rings or very thick sheets. The general features are similar to those of Nylon 66.6, which means that it is stiffer and more brittle than extruded Nylon.
• Wear resistance is good even in demanding environments.
• Tensile stress, compressive strength, toughness is better than extruded Nylon.
• Good fatigue resistance.
• Low coefficient of friction.
• Good resistance at low temperatures.
• It is resistant to alkali, inorganic compounds and solvents.
• Like extruded Nylon 6, it is hygroscopic.
• Due to its high fragility (in comparison with extruded PA6) it is advisable to use cast nylon for larger-sized pieces.
• Because of the molecular structure, large-sized cast pieces have a better quality than those of small dimensions.
• Generally it is not used in contact with food.
Usage in the electrical field is avoided as the electrical properties change with the moisture content.
It can be precision machined for intricate components with tight tolerances and is one of the most commonly used engineering plastics for mechanical applications such as:
In the building of parts for construction machines, excavators and
earthmovers it is used for:
• Anti-wear guides.
• Gears wheels.
• Guide bearings.
• Sliding bearings.