HMWPE - PE 500
Polyethylene with a molecular weight of +/- 600,000 (PE 500) and has a good combination of stiffness and toughness. In less demanding applications with respect to wear and impact resistance, PE 500 presents an economical alternative to the PE1000 standard grades. It is a versatile polyethylene grade used mainly in the food industry but is also employed in all kinds of mechanical, chemical and electrical applications.
• High abrasion resistance.
• Low friction coefficient.
• Low specific gravity.
• Easily machinable.
• High chemical resistance, typical of the polyolefins.
• Shock resistance is good even at low temperatures.
• Being physiologically inert, it's approved for food contact by the most important standards organisations.
• Good electrical properties.
• Compared to the engineering plastics it has lower thermal and mechanical properties, such as tensile stress, flexural and compressive strength.
• Compared to high molecular weight PE, it is more rigid and its resistance to continuous shock is therefore lower.
The low friction coefficient and its non-hygroscopicity make it suitable for use as a bearing or mechanical parts with low loads, even when operating in water. However, it's widely used for components in food machinery and manufacturing.