UHMWPE - PE 1000
UHMWPE (Ultra-high molecular weight) is polymerised with a modified Ziegler-Catalyst. The density is lowered and the sliding friction coefficient is improved. UHMWPE distinguishes itself through its very high impact resistance and abrasion resistance. The FDA approval assures physiological safety.
• High abrasion resistance.
• Low friction coefficient.
• Low specific gravity.
• Easily machinability.
• High chemical resistance, typical of the polyolefins.
• Shock resistance is good even at low temperatures.
• Being physiologically inert, it's approved for food contact by the most important standards organisations.
• Good electrical properties.
• Compared to the engineering plastics it has lower thermal and mechanical properties, such as tensile stress, flexural and compressive strength.
The low friction coefficient and its non-hygroscopicity make it suitable for use as a bearing or mechanical parts with low loads, even when operating in water.
Sliding guides or pump and wear parts are often manufactured from UHMWPE.
However, it's widely used for components in food machinery and manufacturing.
It can operate as low as -200°C and can be used in cryogenics.