This product is more commonly known by the brand name Teflon® and is renowned for the lowest friction coefficient. It also has exceptional chemical resistance and dielectric properties. Despite excelling with the above properties it has poor mechanical properties, which is why is can be modified with both glass and carbon to improve the dimensional stability.
• High chemical resistance.
• Resistance to both low and high temperatures.
• Low flammability.
• Low friction coefficient.
• High resistance to UV.
• FDA approved.
• Good electrical properties.
• Poor mechanical properties. The strain is very high, even simply under the weight of the piece.
The low friction coefficient makes it suitable for bearings, provided that they work under low charge.
Virgin as well as Glass-Filled and Carbon-Filled PTFE has FDA (USA) approval for use in contact with food, potable water and pharmaceutical products.
High chemical resistance to alkali and acids is the main feature of the fluoropolymers. PTFE is used for parts in the petrochemical and chemical industries.