Ultem is a high performance engineering plastic offering high mechanical and electrical properties as well as excellent flame and heat resistance. It is UL94 VO rated (self-extinguishing) and USP Class VI compliant. Capable of withstanding repeated autoclaving cycles. Maximum continuous operating temperature is 170°C.
• Resistance to high temperature.
• Flame resistance: self-extinguishing, low oxygen index.
• High tensile stress, flexural strength, E.modulus.
• Good chemical resistance.
• Excellent electrical properties.
• Physiologically inert, therefore FDA compliant.
• The cost is higher than conventional engineering plastics.
• Lower shock resistance.
• Unsuitable coolants used during machining can lead to subsequent stress cracking.
• Structural probes.
• Manifolds in pharmaceutical process equipment.
• Clamps to connect circuit boards.
• Sight glasses and in aircraft instrumentation.